Saturday, October 18, 2014

Sea Glass/Aquarium Pebble Owl Mosaic Canvas

 Today's post is going to be another DIY craft project of mine:  a mosaic owl on canvas, made with sea glass & aquarium pebbles.



In order to complete this project, you will need:

  • Any Size Canvas You Like
  • Flat-Sided Aquarium Marbles
  • Assorted Aquarium Gravel/Stones
  • Mod Podge Craft Glue
  • A Sponge Brush
  • A Pencil

    Canvases can cost about $3 or $4, depending on where you purchase them.  Mine is from Ollie's Bargain Outlet.

    Flat-Sided Aquarium Marbles and Aquarium Gravel/Stones can be found at a variety of retailers such as, craft stores, pet stores, Walmart, etc.  Bags of each are usually about $2-$3 apiece.

    Mod Podge comes in a variety of sizes, but for a project this size, the bottle you need is only about $4.  You can find this at Walmart or any craft retailer.

    Sponge Brushes are easy to find at just about any retailer.  I purchased mine in a package of about 10 at Dollar Tree for $1. 



I first made a rough sketch on my canvas of what I wanted my image to look like.


    Next, I used my sponge brush & Mod Podge craft glue to dab along my sketch.  I then took randomly chosen pebbles for the body, flat-sided marbles for the wings, and sea glass for the face & tail and adhered them to the  canvas.

    I repeated this process until my owl's entire body was covered with the various stones & pebbles.


    Then, I used my sponge brush & Mod Podge to paint a layer of craft glue all over the entire project & canvas.  As with several of my other canvases, this not only helps to set and secure all the pebbles andstones , but it leaves the piece with a nice, glossy shine once it's dried.




    Voila!  You Have a Sea Glass/Aquarium Pebble Owl Mosaic Canvas!
    Thank You & Enjoy!



3 comments:

  1. Wow this looks really cool! I wonder if I could do it even though I really suck at drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erica, you totally could! Even if you would use tracing or parchment paper on an image you wanted and then draw your trace onto a canvas :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a fun project, I love 3D art this is craft I have a ton of sea glass from the beach and this would be a much more effective to display it.

    ReplyDelete