Monday, September 29, 2014

Jigsaw Puzzle Mosaic Canvas

This week I'll be changing directions & posting some of my DIY crafts that I've done.
This is a jigsaw puzzle piece mosaic I did on canvas. Like my other projects, this was easier to do than one might expect, & only required a few, inexpensive items.



You Will Need:
  • Any Size Canvas You Like
  • Mod Podge Craft Glue
  • A Sponge Brush
  • A Pencil
  • Assorted Jigsaw Puzzle Pieces



Canvases can cost about $3 or $4, depending on where you purchase them.  Mine is from Ollie's Bargain Outlet.

Mod Podge comes in a variety of sizes, but for a project this size, the bottle you need is only about $4.  You can find this at Walmart or any craft retailer.

Sponge Brushes are easy to find at just about any retailer.  I purchased mine in a package of about 10 at Dollar Tree for $1. 



You can find cheap, jigsaw puzzles at a variety of retail stores as well.  I bought 3 at $1 each at Dollar Tree.
  • I first made a rough sketch of what I wanted my image to look like on the canvas.  
  • I then used my sponge brush, dipped into the Mod Podge craft glue, and dabbed the glue along a portion of the lines of the sketch.  
  • Next, I chose the appropriately colored puzzle pieces from the 3 boxes I had (licorice candy, jelly beans, & a field of tulips) & placed them onto the glue outline. 
  • I simply repeated this process until I had filled in my sketch with the desired colors of puzzle pieces.  
  • Once all my pieces were placed along the sketch, I used my sponge brush & Mod Podge to paint a layer of glue over top of the entire canvas.  This, not only helps to further secure and set the pieces, but it also give the canvas a glossy shine when it is dried. 


Thank You & Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. I love this! I keep looking for crafty ideas to decorate my dorm, and I think that your blog is definitely going to provide some great ideas for me. I like how you include the prices of the items needed, that's really helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute! Perfect idea for a simple birthday gift

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw thank you guys!! I have lots more fun projects for the rest of the semester :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love this craft. This could be one of the most original ideas I have ever seen. I have a bunch of puzzles at home with missing pieces and now I know exactly what I can do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It’s a commonly known fact that blades play an extremely pivotal role in the shaping, modelling and your end product.
    Best jigsaw blades
    Best Jigsaw 2020

    ReplyDelete