Sunday, November 30, 2014

Sugar Skull Sharpie Alcohol Canvas

 It's back to canvases we go, this week, for a couple of abstract, unique pieces.  Today we're going to make our own watercolor canvas painting using Sharpie markers & rubbing alcohol.  Watercolors give pieces an airy, whimsical, daydream-y feeling that I'm hoping to replicate by the end of this project.


(Image by Urban Road on their website: {http://www.urbanroad.com.au/shop/2013-spring/nebula/}.)

Items You Will Need for This Project:
  • Any Size Canvas You Like
  • A Pencil
  • Sharpie (or Similar Permanent Marker)
  • Rubbing Alcohol
  • A Small Spray Bottle
Canvases can be found at some discount stores and superstores, as well as all major craft retailers such as JoAnn's, Michael's, Pat Catan's, Hobby Lobby, etc.  They can range in price depending upon the size, brand, and color.  I bought mine at Ollie's Bargain Outlet for about $3.

All of our other necessary items are pretty easily found just about anywhere for just $1.  I already had Sharpies and pencils at home, so I just purchased my rubbing alcohol & spray bottle at Dollar Tree for just $1 each.



I first made a rough sketch in pencil of what I wanted my image to be.  I chose a sugar skull (because I've always thought that they're fun, bright, & have a nice cultural aspect to them), but you can choose to sketch whatever the heck you like.



After my sketch was completed, I went over top of all my pencil lines with a black, ultra-fine Sharpie to give it a nice outline.



Next, I used my sharpies to color in my sketch.



Once my sketch was colored in, I sprayed the entire colored area with my rubbing alcohol spray bottle.



Once the colors started to run, I picked up my canvas and tilted it in different directions to spread out the running colors.



After I was satisfied with the watercolor effect, I just left my canvas to dry for about an hour or so until it was ready to hang.



Voila! You've Made Your Own Sharpie Watercolor Canvas!
Thank You & Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment