Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Yarn & Button Tree Canvas


Keeping with my "crafty" theme, today's post is going to detail another canvas project I did between January & February of this year: a yarn & button tree!  As per usual with my DIY & craft projects, this was relatively inexpensive and easy to make.  Some of the detailing & minutia took a little bit of time to complete, along with finding time in my schedule to work on it.  If you were completing this project all at once, you could probably do so within a couple of days.


You Will Need:
  • Any Size Canvas You Like
  • A Pencil
  • Mod Podge Craft Glue
  • School Glue
  • Scissors
  • Yarn
  • A Sponge Brush
  • Buttons of Assorted Colors, Shapes, & Sizes

Canvases can cost about $3 or $4, depending on where you purchase them.  Mine is from Ollie's Bargain Outlet.

Mod Podge comes in a variety of sizes, but for a project this size, the bottle you need is only about $4.  You can find this at Walmart or any craft retailer.

Sponge Brushes are easy to find at just about any retailer.  I purchased mine in a package of about 10 at Dollar Tree for $1.  

Jars & Pouches of assorted buttons can easily be found at any craft retailer, or stores like Walmart & Tuesday Morning.  These jars and pouches are about $3-$4 for around 100+ buttons.  


I first made a rough sketch on my canvas of what I wanted my image to look like.


I then cut different lengths of yarn and began gluing them along the sketch with the school glue.


I continued this process until the entire sketch was covered in different lengths of the glued yarn.


Next, I used my sponge brush & Mod Podge craft glue to dab along my yarn branches.  I then took randomly chosen buttons and adhered them to the  canvas.

I repeated this process until all of my branches were sufficiently filled with button leaves.

Then, I used my sponge brush & Mod Podge to paint a layer of craft glue all over the entire project & canvas.  As with my puzzle piece mosaic tree, this not only helps to set and secure all the buttons and features, but it leaves the piece with a nice, glossy shine once it's dried.



Voila! You Have a Yarn & Button Tree Canvas!
Thank You & Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment