Sunday, November 23, 2014

DIY Charcoal Face Scrub/Mask

If you're like me, there's probably something about your skin you're not in love with. I've always felt like I had big pores & blackheads on my nose & cheeks, even though they're not really noticeable to anyone but me, but we all know that doesn't really matter in the land of insecurities.  Alas & henceforth, today we're going to be making a charcoal face scrub/mask with just a few ingredients.

(Image by Huffington Post on their website: {http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1643224/thumbs/o-CHARCOAL-PRODUCTS-570.jpg}.)


To Complete This Project You'll Need:
  • Activated Charcoal Capsules
  • Aloe Vera Gel
  • Honey
  • Sugar
  • Water
  • 2-4 oz Storage Container
  • Mixing Bowl/Spoon

Activated Charcoal capsules can be found at most health stores or pharmacies, but are a little pricey. I bought a 100-count bottle from GNC for $9.99.

Chances are you probably have the other ingredients somewhere around the house, so let's get started!




First, break open 2 charcoal capsules and pour into your mixing bowl.




Add 1/2 teaspoon of water to the charcoal. Allow to bubble & sit for a couple minutes, so that the water is mostly absorbed.


Next, squeeze in about 2 teaspoons of aloe vera gel.





We'll then add about 2 teaspoons of honey.



Lastly, pour in 1 teaspoon of sugar. 


Mix all of the ingredients together until you have a smooth, even consistency.


Spoon your mixture into your container, & you're ready to try it out!


You can use your charcoal mixture as a slightly abrasive facial scrub or as a mask. 
It is IMPORTANT, that since this contains aloe vera gel, to NOT apply it or wash with it around your eyes. It can cause extreme eye irritation.
If you choose to use this cleanser as a mask, once applied, let it dry for about 20-30 minutes. 

Once you rinse your mask off, you should notice some changes to your skin. I definitely thought my pores/blackheads in my nose looked drastically reduced & cleaned out. 

Depending on your skin type, this mask could dry you out a bit. I tend to have semi-dry, sensitive skin, & I was a little dried out after rinsing off the mask, so I simply applied some of my daily facial moisturizer.

Lastly, this batch creates enough for probably about 2-3 uses, so if you'd like to make enough to fill your container or just have some on hand, I'd recommend doubling or tripling the recipe.

Voila! You've Made Your Own Charcoal Face Scrub/Mask!
Thank You & Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow! My search for a homemade charcoal face mask is finally over! I've always loved the feeling after a spa session, and I want to recreate that feeling at home, which prompted me to look for just that. I really think this is so easy to make, not to mention cost-efficient; I'm definitely trying it out. Thank you so much for sharing this lovely DIY!

    Lilia Valle @ La Fleur de Beaute Day Spa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree; no one would love to see dark spots on their faces! Thanks to your DIY mask, your readers can have a simple way to clean their skin. On the other hand, it’s important to know that not every DIY mask works on all types of skin. It’s advisable to consult a professional before considering those mixtures, especially if you feel like you have a very sensitive skin. Anyway, thanks for sharing that! Stay pretty!

    Sadie Montgomery @ Hoshall's Hair Salon & Spa

    ReplyDelete